Planning and Executing My Transition to Corporate America from Japan
In 2012, I accepted two year shore duty orders to Sasebo, Japan knowing that I would eventually transition off active duty after my tour. I started planning my transition one year from end of service. I decided to work with Cameron-Brooks, a headhunter who works particularly with junior military officers (JMO) . Here's who I managed my transition what I did:
- Worked with a military specific transition service
- Used checklists
- Used LinkedIn with free one year premium service (read how here)
- Used Google Hangouts to perform practice interviews with other transitioning member in Japan & US
- Read military to civilian transition books
- Read business and career books
- Attend DOD transition workshop
- Attained a mentor
- Learned from others who transitioned via blogs, articles, and conversation
You can and will be successful. Put your plan into action!
- LinkedIN - Offers a free one year Job Seekers Premium account for active duty and veterans. (More info)
- To further demonstrate our commitment to the military community, the LinkedIn Picture Opportunity mobile photo studio provides free professional headshots taken and advice on building their LinkedIn profiles — a powerful first step on the road to future opportunity.
- Lynda.com - Offers FREE one year of on-demand learning with over 4,000 expert-led courses. (More info)
- Check out the newly released Lynda.com video “Translating Your Military Service to Civilian Life.” by Lida Citroën. Lida has worked with hundreds of veterans to ease the transition experience and help them reintegrate with confidence and success.
- GI Jobs Military-to-Civilian Pay Calculator